You Can Be A Doctor S1 Program
You Can Be A Doctor is a Scottish Charitable Incorporated Organisation (Charity number SC046620) aiming to ensure social diversity in medicine. This program for S1 pupils aims to inspire pupils who might never have thought of it to consider a career in medicine. We have a network of volunteers across the country and have designed three interactive, classroom events based on the cardiovascular system, the digestive system and the range of healthcare professions. They are deliverable in person (by doctor, medical student or teacher) and online with pre-recorded videos for a seamless event. We are particularly looking to support pupils from widening participation backgrounds. Our widening participation criteria is as follows:
- Neither of my parents attended university
- I live in a area that is ranked SIMD decile 1-4 or quintile 1-2
- I receive the Education Maintenance Allowance
- I am an unpaid carer
- I am currently or have been in care
- I have a disability
- I currently receive/am eligible to receive/have previously been in receipt of free school meals
- I am a migrant, refugee or asylum seeker
- I am from a Gypsy, Roma or Traveller background
- English is not my first language
Events will be available from 22/5/22 – 01/7/22 initially.
Each session is 60-90 minutes long. To request a You Can Be A Doctor volunteer to deliver one or all of these sessions to your class please register your interest below. We aim to get back to you as quickly as possible but it takes a wee while to source volunteers – doctors are busy people! If you have any questions about the events you can email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Supported by the Royal College of Physicians of Edinburgh, the Royal College of Psychiatrists, the Royal College of General Practitioners, the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Glasgow, the Association of Anaesthetists, Medicine Outreach Glasgow Widening Access Initiative and Developing the Young Workforce.